Thursday 19 March 2009

Saturday, Saturday.........

If you had asked me a few years ago: what's your idea of a great Saturday, its unlikely I would have responded with "a quiet day reflecting on vocation".   I found myself joining others contemplating vocation at the quiet day at St John's,  slightly  fearful I'd be exposed as a bit of imposter. So it proved. The subsequent description of us as "young" in Father Ivan's  blog could never be applied to me . Saga now permeates my life in ways I never thought possible and the only sport in which I am likely to attract the soubriquet "rising star" is likely to be bowls. 
The day was special, not least  the period of silence before mass and the opportunities for quiet reflection in the afternoon . God getting a word in edgeways is something that daily life all too rarely permits.  But the whole day was a really enriching experience:  I really enjoyed talking to others in the group and the mass included a sermon  on the parable of the prodigal son that made me wonder whether I'd ever really get some of this Christianity stuff right.
Next weekend offers yet more tantalising choices. Catch some sun and get some more potatoes planted or torment myself again at the Valley where Charlton take on Preston North End.  I cannot get too worked up about a match where the outcome from the home supporter's perspective is academic - we're down anyway. However loyalty is about following the team through the bad times as well as the good. So all things being equal, on Saturday the potatoes will have to wait.  
 

No comments: